El Centro de Libertad/The Freedom Center
Executive Director Opportunity
Position: Executive Director, San Francisco Bay Area
Reports to: Board of Directors
Status: Full Time; Exempt
Location: Redwood City, CA
Start date: April 2020
El Centro de Libertad/The Freedom Center is seeking an effective non-profit manager, collaborative leader with a commitment to providing out-patient counseling services to youth and adults in recovery in San Mateo County. The incoming Executive Director will bring their enthusiasm and dedication to providing Dignity With Recovery to the work. He/she should be a confident and strong fundraiser, a relationship builder and strategic thinker, and have experience sustaining a broad base of financial support.
The new E.D. shall be dedicated to and knowledgeable about substance abuse, mental health and managed care as well as committed to engaging our two communities, Redwood City and Half Moon Bay in ways that make sense collectively as well as independently.
The next several years at El Centro de Libertad/The Freedom Center will provide both a creative and rewarding leadership and career opportunity. Starting with a well-respected organization, talented staff, dedicated volunteers, and supportive county, city, and community partners, the incoming E.D. will help maintain and build upon our broad base of services and community support while also focusing our strategic direction to support San Mateo County’s changing needs of those facing substance abuse difficulties.
What we do
El Centro de Libertad/The Freedom Center is a vibrant organization focused on providing Multicultural out-patient treatment programs designed to help youth and adults break the cycle of substance use. Cultural and linguistic differences and similarities pertaining to recovery from addiction are explicitly addressed. Our impact extends beyond the individuals served, to their families, friends, employers and supporters across San Mateo County.
Since we were founded 26 years ago, we have continued to grow and expand our services in Redwood City to include a youth component and to open an office in Half Moon Bay featuring individual and group counseling programs.
We also offer multiple groups focused on Domestic Violence, Anger Management and Parenting issues. In an effort to enhance our commitment to the community, we now provide classroom-based Prevention Education modules in Redwood City and Half Moon Bay. For more detailed information on these programs, our partners and our impact, visit our website a https://www.elcentrodelibertad.org.
Our efforts are strengthened by partnerships and collaborations with county and city government, private businesses, skilled clinicians, civic organizations, community volunteers. El Centro de Libertad/The Freedom Center provides stability through the presence of an empowered Management Team consisting of an Administration Manager, Finance & Contract Manager, Program Manager and Clinical Supervisor.
The spirit of El Centro de Libertad/The Freedom Center remains the foundation of all that we do –“Recovery with Dignity”. We hold true to our original value, nobody will be refused service because of inability to pay. We believe that by sharing our gift of recovery and healing with others in our community, they and their families will learn how to live meaningful and productive lives.
El Centro de Libertad/The Freedom Center belongs to a network of many local agencies serving San Mateo County youth and adults dealing with substance use. Our agency is the only Center of its kind in San Mateo County, serving 900 – 1100 individuals every year. We have an operating budget of $1.3 Million. In addition, we own the building we are in. Funding comes from a variety of sources including approximately 55% from government contracts, 22% from corporate donations, sponsorships, foundations and individuals, 15% from program service fees and 8% from investment related income.
The E.D. works in partnership with a 7-member Board of Directors to guide day-to-day operations and major strategic objectives of the organization. The E.D. supervises and maintains strong relationships with staff, volunteers, funders, community, and political leaders. Current staffing includes 14 full-time staff positions and three part-time contract workers.
The ideal candidate will possess many of the following skills and experience:
- Experience with or an understanding of the recovery process and challenges impacting people with substance abuse.
- Experience with and understanding of youth and adults dealing with mental health and managed care issues including knowledge of integration with mental health programs.
- Proven non-profit management skills and experience with Board development and staff management.
- Confident fundraising skills with a proven track record in attracting and sustaining community support – government, and foundation support, major gifts, corporate sponsorships.
- Financial and/or business management experience with a budget of comparable size and revenue streams.
- Knowledge of San Mateo County programs and funding structure.
- Strong communication skills including writing, speaking, and consensus building.
- Demonstrated capacity to build alliances and sustain collaborative relationships with a diverse array of nonprofit, City, and County partners.
- Team building abilities to develop, retain, motivate and lead staff and volunteers while maintaining a high level of performance.
- The ability to work in close partnership with an engaged Board to lead the organization toward a shared vision and new directions in response to changing needs and opportunities.
- Senior management experience in a thriving organization of comparable focus.
- Problem solver
Executive Director Job Responsibilities
* Provided as a guideline to the incoming E.D. given the organization’s priorities for the first 12 to 18 months of the job.
Drive Fund Development, Partnerships and Community Relations (45% of job responsibilities*)
- Provide a credible and informed presence in the community for El Centro de Libertad/The Freedom Center.
- Oversee the development of compelling, accurate and timely grant writing, funding proposals and reports.
- Develop and implement an annual development plan including government, corporate, major donor and foundation support.
- Work with a dedicated, engaged Board of Directors and staff to identify, diversify and secure necessary financial resources from public and private sources, including making “the ask.”
- Develop and maintain relationships and collaborations with appropriate community, government, religious, and corporate stakeholders to build a strong awareness of the needs of vulnerable people suffering from substance abuse and participating in out-patient recovery programs as well as the organization’s role in serving those needs.
- Review communication strategies and content for collateral materials including the website, social media, newsletter, donor and promotional materials.
- Provide leadership and planning for donor and volunteer events.
Program oversight, planning and evaluation (20%*)
- Provide leadership in developing program, organizational and financial plans with the Board of Directors and staff, and implement plans and policies authorized by the board.
- Oversee and manage programs and projects consistent with the mission, values and goals of El Centro de Libertad/The Freedom Center, as well as establish key metrics to evaluate effectiveness and impact.
- Maintain a strong working knowledge of all El Centro departments/programs.
- Sustain a working knowledge of our abstinence-based approach that uses 12 steps as tools to recovery.
- Effectively engage and motivate volunteers at all levels to ensure productive and constructive experiences.
Manage a Fiscally Sound Organization and Positive Work Environment (25%*)
- Provide Administrative oversight to agency and personnel.
- Be responsible for developing and maintaining sound financial practices.
- Develop and manage the annual budget; include management personnel in preparation.
- Ensure that adequate funds are available to permit the organization to carry out its work.
- Oversee monthly financial reporting and payroll, approve expenses and invoices for payment, and sign checks.
- Provide oversight to the preparation of the annual audit.
- Provide financial oversight, seeing that all funds are disbursed in accordance with contract requirements and donor designations.
- Ensure compliance with federal, state and local regulations.
- Negotiate all agency contracts and grants.
- Regularly evaluate internal operations, policies and procedures for efficiency and effectiveness.
- Lead by example and recruit, train, and retain a strong staff and volunteer team with a broad range of skills.
- Create an annual plan to develop and strengthen essential skills critical to the success of the paid and volunteer staff.
- Review operating systems to ensure effectiveness and efficiency.
- Be responsible for the recruitment, employment, and release of all personnel, both paid staff and independent contractors, and/or volunteers.
- Ensure compliance with personnel policies established by the Board of Directors and with all federal and state regulations.
- Ensure accuracy of current job descriptions and completion of regular performance evaluations.
- Other duties as assigned.
Partnership with the Board of Directors (10%*)
- In partnership with the Board, evaluate and implement short and long-range strategic priorities, budgets, and growth plans that are realistic, sustainable and reflect our mission, values and goals.
- Assist the Board in identifying, recruiting and utilizing Board members with the essential skills to support the mission and vision of El Centro de Libertad/The Freedom Center.
- Assist members of the Board in their roles and responsibilities by providing support, education and leadership.
- Ensure effective communications and linkages between Board and staff.
- Serve as an active, non-voting member of Board and its task forces and committees.
- Report regularly to the Board of Directors regarding organizational objectives, the organization’s financial status and other issues relevant to the Board of Directors.
- Provide the Board of Directors with adequate information to reach strategic decisions and to formulate necessary policies.
- Supervise the implementation of Board policies.
In addition, candidates will need to:
- Effectively utilize information technology, accounting (QuickBooks), County Cost Reports.
- Work occasional nights and weekends as needed to support Board and community events. We offer flexibility to accommodate these obligations.
- Pass a background check.
Compensation: El Centro is prepared to offer a competitive compensation package that includes health care–75% paid by El Centro, 25% paid by the employee; dental and vision insurance plans are available paid by the employee. Dependent coverage may be elected at the employee’s expense. In addition, employees are eligible annually for ten regular work days of sick leave; not accrued. Vacation days are offered at two weeks for the first thru fourth consecutive years of employment; 3 weeks after the fifth consecutive year and 4 weeks’ vacation after the tenth consecutive year. El Centro offers 11 paid holidays as well as 1 PTO (Personal Time off) day per year. El Centro offers, Medical Disability Leave, Pregnancy Leave, Military Leave and several others. El Centro offers participation in a 403(b) Retirement Plan in which the agency will match up to $60 per pay period. This is a full-time, exempt position based in San Mateo.
Confidential Application Process: Email your cover letter (Word or PDF document) summarizing your interest, fit with qualifications, compensation requirements and experience along with a current resume to: email@example.com with “El Centro de Libertad/The Freedom Center Search” in the subject field. Resumes must have a cover letter in order to be considered. Inquiries from candidates are welcomed and should be directed to our transition consultant, Connie Shapiro at (415) 297-6822.
Deadline for applications: February 6th or until the position is filled
Estimated start date: April 15 2020